out of the coolness folder

This is an image in my "coolness" folder of pictures. It's from an issue of Print (in the past year or so), and I absolutely love it. It's frequently set as my desktop background... until I grow tired of the stark black/white and throw in a clever illustration, or a sideways picture of the space needle, or a bright gerber daisy, or something.
One of my favorite lines is "[I believe] that the ability to kern and understand letterspacing impacts that individual's perspective on how he or she exists in space and time."
Wow. So powerful to consider how my view of letterspacing has an impact on the way I view other people, relationships, communities, events... how I relate to everything around me. Perhaps this is the selfish designer-speak we hear too often. Perhaps it's truth. Perhaps it's interesting either way. Because, if how I view type impacts my perspective of how I exist in space and time, then naturally, how I view the rest of my world affects how I view letterspacing. Right? They're intertwined. I'm learning more about how I interact with & view with the world around me. What my natural reactions are, etc. Gallup's Strengthsfinder Profile tells me my #2 strength is Individualization. That means that (apparently) I'm a keen observer of other people's strengths, and I can draw out the best in each person. I psychoanalyze people. I find clarity in differences. I can delegate tasks to match peoples' talents. So I like details in context? Is that the bottom line? This would explain both the Individualization AND my affection for beautiful type.
Hmmm.
I'm still waiting to read your personal manifesto. you should do it. :)
ReplyDeleteWow. So powerful to consider how my view of letterspacing has an impact on the way I view other people, relationships, communities, events
ReplyDeleteDeep insight there...girl :)