Thursday, August 31, 2006

ernesto

okay, so, I should probably be glad that orlando didn't get hit with a crazy hurricane of a storm this week. But honestly::: I'm kind of disappointed. We didn't even get strong winds. it was just a calm, cloudy, rainy day. I guess there was some thunder, which I could barely hear inside the vault yesterday. They even cancelled school for that. But I went to work and even stayed late to help finalize and send some files to the printer for the next issue of Radiant. And by late, I don't mean like midnight late, I mean just a couple hours late. It was a pretty full day of postscripting and PDFing and adding dingbats and printing and magnet-ing it all up to the walls of the vault for a pin-up of sorts. I enjoyed observing those last minue design conversations between Anna and Cameron and Alastair. Rearranging ads because they conflict with visual content, brainstorming last-minute illustration possibilities, and then finally realizing that time doesn't permit all they'd like to do. I kept thinking: why don't you guys do this sort of thing a week before you're going to press? In the Drake Mag/515 days we always had our publications up on the wall, usually with a formal pin-up gathering (complete with beverages, snacks, and the whole staff) a week or so before our press-date, which was always a week before our advisor actually planned to send things to the printer. But then again: we also had entire semesters to work on these things... At 6.30, Nick said, well, I think you can go now. Oh, but I'm enjoying this design-talk thought-process stuff. His immediate reply, while getting up from his postscripting/PDFing perch at the computer: oh, well, then, can you stay and burn the CD when they're done with changes? As he practically walks out the door. Uh, sure. Honestly though: I'm ready to help. And I'd rather be helping than have three other people go crazy and miss the FedEx pick up. Besides, it's easy. Postcript it, PDF it, print it, and remind Cameron that he has to leave in 5 mintues to make it. Speaking of, I hope he made it. So I got home around 8, turning down a free dinner with Alastair and Anna to join my roomies and about 15 of their/our friends for spaghetti and Arrested Development, season 3.

2 comments:

  1. Al, you're amazing. If/when they finally realize that they'll want to keep you forever. BUT, we want you back in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Allison, I have design craziness to discuss sometime! It sounds like you do too. :) And we must talk about Arrested Development greatness. We're still waiting for Season 3 to arrive in the mail.

    ReplyDelete