thoughts.
Paul Newman's Peach Salsa isn't as good as DL Jardines'. But it's still eat-worthy.
Today I thought back to when Kit Hinrichs told me—at a bar in Denver that has long matches and is in an old red brick building—that designers should never accept unpaid internships, or provide them for that matter. Part of his rationale: Pentagram's are paid. So what did I do a year later? Completely ignored an older, wiser designer, and quit my 30K to move to FL for an unpaid. (Don't get me wrong here, I am mildly bitter, but it's still been a great/amazing/unforgettable experience... my feelings are quite mixed.)
I've been scouting out AIGA's jobs page. And MediaBistro. And Ed2010. Encouraging. Still praying for clarity in coming weeks. Why did I leave all of my samples and files in CO with my portfolio?
AIGA Orlando has a speaker event next week. I'm so there.
Magazine talk with Drake friends Becca (@ BHG) and Lauren (@ Dockwalk) lately has been refreshing. Owe Andrea (always forget her mag's title)* a call back. I just can't get over how grounding and inspiring it is to reconnect with college friends who know where I'm coming from with design/process thoughts about publications. I'm amid designers here at Relevant, but for some reason it doesn't always feel like it.
I worked a little bit on a book today at work. It's purposely set in Times New Roman and Courier New. I understand the reasoning behind it... but it still bothers me every time I see it.
Tessa seemed grouchy today. And I was tired. Danny and Kristen were being nice. But overall the vault was dull today. We all had work to focus on.
Community drama here in FL is interesting. I'm encouraged by the facts that a) I'm close enough to be included, er, confided in? b) that I'm not so close that it directly involves me c) that this crap happens wherever people use the words Christian and Community together. Because hello. We're not perfect. Seems as though the conflict resolution is on it's way?
A little mountain homesick lately, but the harsh reality of the fact that I'm leaving in less than a month (and knowing that month will FLY by) makes me a little sad. I was driving today and was thinking that I will probably miss Orlando in much the same way I miss Iowa. And those kinds of thoughts always at least vaguely bring up the fact that I move or at least have a big life change every 2 years or so and it's like I have immediate in my life right now friends, and friends from odd slivers of my life here and there.
I went to Ft Lauderdale this weekend. I will post pics soon perhaps. I bought a little camera because mine died after I got there. It was cloudy and rainy, but still fabulous... and I took a bit of the long way home. A1A, US 1, and i95. Lots of little beachfront communities, surfers and all.
I bought this book tonight.
Favorite line from Times/Courier book mentioned above: "So far, my life has been filled with ice cream and attractive suitors."
*I have been informed that Andrea works at Remodel.
If the portfolio is at the house and you want it we can send it. Let us know!
ReplyDeleteallison, thank you for the gigantic email! it so brightened my morning. :) i am absorbing all the info. you are awesome.
ReplyDelete