Sunday, October 15, 2006

back in Colorado

I'm back in Colorado. And it's pretty surreal. I almost feel like it was all a bit of a dream.

I'm living in a house that I barely moved into before I left, so it's home, but I don't know where all of the light switches are and I just met the new roomie last night. My auto-pilot on the way into town wanted to take me to my parents house. I realized this is the first time I've returned to town from a significant journey and not gone straight to my parents house. weird.

I had dinner with the folks and grandma last night. That felt like home. Steak and lots of veggies and pictures and stories. I like that I can talk with my parents (particularly my dad) about some of the leadership issues I experienced/observed/learned about in Florida. And even though they don't always understand what I do or want to do as a designer, or even what I did at my internship, there are basic things like communications and leadership and teamwork that are universal to almost any work environment. Oh, and mom was sorting through old stuff and gave me a cool turquoise silver bracelet that she used to wear.

Reason #64 why my new roomies are awesome: they hosted the welcome back allijack party. great fun to see lots of faces I love. plus a campfire and s'mores in the backyard!

I went to church tonight and it was the first time I realized I really missed my friend SarahT. Then she called during the service and I got to call her back afterwards. Just what I needed. She moved to Cali while I was in Florida and I knew she was gone and that I'd miss her when I got back. While I was in FL I didn't necessarily miss her because I was in a foreign environment where she didn't necessarily belong. In August, I almost flew from Orlando to Colorado to drive with her to CA and then fly from LA back to Orlando. It would have been an awesome trip. She's one of my favorites. Fun. Honest.

Church was good. I love having so many friends that I can just love and respect for who they are and just pick up wherever we left off. They're not necessarily offended in any way that I didn't keep in touch on a regular basis. Very low-maintenance to some extent. This is especially true of my college friends, of course, but I love that it's also very true of my post-college friends, too. So many smiling faces, lots of hugs.

Reason #426 why my new roomies are awesome: if I forget about my laundry in the dryer, they'll fold it for me. Isn't that great?!

Oddly, I feel somewhat geographically uncommitted here. It's a strange feeling. Like I know God might be preparing me for someplace else, but at the same time I'm patient with being here, now. Either way, it's new. Even though it's familiar.

Tomorrow holds: interview, lunch with my little bro, and then BSF with my new discussion group. Not totally looking forward to the drive to Boulder. But after the last two weeks I'm sure I can handle it—it is gorgeous.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear how your interview went. Keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete