new job.
so I have a new job! and I can't believe I haven't told you about it yet. I started last week and I'm still making lattes, too. so it's been a pretty busy week and a half so far.
I'm working at a media company. We have a couple publications and musicians stop by all the time. We keep track of and report which radio stations are playing what songs (and then charting it so artists can say they're #1). We also provide programming for radio stations that organizations and companies pay us to promote. it's confusing, basically. and I'm barely understanding what we do. I'm a marketing person, I guess. since there are only six of us, I'm sort of expecting that I'll be able to mold some of my position/tasks to my interests and strengths. but I'll be patient 'till we get there. Apparently I'm a sort of back-up designer, too? so they can avoid paying a freelancer, I suppose.
and today I designed a fax. in Word.
seriously.
You know God HAS to be at work in your life when you have two undergrad degrees and you're not directly using them, and you have this semi-mastery of all things Adobe, Comic Sans makes you vomit, and kerning is something you love to play with... but you find yourself at a PC "designing" a broadcast fax to 1000 radio stations in Microsoft Word. You also might know that God's up to something if a regular from Starbucks, who happens to be performing your friends' wedding ceremony, says he thinks he may have a communications-oriented job lead for you, and that it's with his landlord's communications company, and you're somewhat hesitant because it's not design-focused, but you interview anyway, feel like it's a good fit, they offer you the job from an airport in Nashville, and the salary's not bad considering the experience and the perks and the fact that you'll have a two minute commute (mostly waiting at left turn lights waiting for green arrows), and so you take the job, tell the latte place you'll only work a little bit and then your manager there quits out of nowhere and so you know the place won't be the same anyway...
and thus: it's all bizzare. and unexpected. but good. I think it'll be good.
allison! i really liked hearing about your new job. and the mormons. i started a new job too, but to my knowledge haven't spoken with mormons recently. i still miss working with you though.
ReplyDelete