Thursday, January 10, 2008

crazy week updates!

so I totally needed today off after a crazy day yesterday. I think I left it there: yesterday, that is. But in an effort to recall the day's oddities and thus come to some sort of peace with it's craziness, I will share. normalcy. oddity. whatever.

It started at 3.30. Up, shower, work. I opened with lewis. we din't say much because it's 4.30am and we have work to do. he's not a chatter anyway. open with autumn or kari or jake and we've had multiple courses of conversation before 5am. I've learned this is not so common with lewis or rachel. someone else comes in. customers come in. and somewhere in the course of our pre-opening tasks we discover that one of the espresso bars is broken. ugh. that's annoying. and the repair guy can't get here for how many hours?! we prepare for the morning rush sans one bar. okay. that's bad, but not awful. just need some adjustments to how we steam milk (nonfat, 1%, 2%, whole, soy, breve, or organic... sometimes all at once), pull shots, and such. BUT about 5 minutes into the morning rush, I discovered that our one little steam wand's steam wasn't moving too fast. the poor thing was taking forever! and with low pressure it wouldn't really aerate the milk quite right (ie. didn't produce nice foam or awesomely creamy steamed milk goodness) so we're down one bar, the other one's only halfway effective... at one point it wouldn't even pull decaf shots! are you kidding me? today, really? we stopped, cleaned the thing out a bit and it resumed decaf. ugh. autumn actually pulled one of our demo machines behind the counter to steam milk for customers' drinks! good thing it makes awesome foam! but for the amounts of milk we steamed on it, it took forever... but helped none the less. we got through the morning. and I took my break and looked back at the 4 square feet I barely moved from for the last three hours. weird & unusual. but it worked out. then: I realized it was time for me to go home. already? I thought I had a longer shift. so since lewis was getting married that evening (long story that's not mine to tell...), and he seemed so nervous and totally flighty all day, especially in light of our minor crisis with the espresso machines... I offered to finish his shift and let him go home. he happily accepted, in a sort of daze. emily came in, missing the morning's crisis, and talked of my roomie's wedding, her hurting back, and made lots of funny sarcastic comments about... work. life. boys. anything, really. she's always good for sarcasm. finally, I went home. not as exhausted as I felt I should have been after opening and having a crazy morning. but I think overall, we had a good staff on the floor and we all adapted pretty well to such a strange twist in the morning. I don't remember what all happened for the afternoon. I think it involved a nap, and watching Oprah with my roomies. she was talking to gay people who had been married in heterosexual relationships. it was interesting. and then it snowed. and katie and rachel picked me up to go to their bible study. on the way, they shared stories of apartment-hunting and cable and storage units and utility prices. the group is studying through matthew, and they're a couple chapters behind my bsf study, so it was good. different, but familiar. different people always shed new light on familiar passages. we studied chapter 8 where jesus heals the leper. and the centurion's servant. since studying about the centurion's leadership, or at least having it pointed out in a new way @ bsf, his care for his servant, the way he knew who jesus was and the power he held... I've been impressed. perhaps like jesus, I'm amazed. I might go back to the study with them. the room was full of couples. but it was good. discussion. songs. prayers. I miss that. and I'm not sure I knew that I did. but I'm at a place where I'm also very reluctant to get to know too many new people here. but I also know that since I seem to be wired that way (attracted to new people, being the new person, etc. it's like a syndrome you can't avoid growing up in the military world). and I'm hungry for it. so perhaps I shouldn't avoid it, even if I'm curious if I'll move in the next couple months and thus be forced to do it all over again... leaving other friendships halfway formed, old friendships somewhat neglected, and still other acquaintances still undeveloped.

I didn't eat dinner last night. that was weird. I wasn't hungry. a quick instant breakfast mix and a handful of almonds/cashews sufficed. with such odd schedules and strange eating habits, especially on tired, early days... it's pretty normal for me to skip meals, snack a few times more, or end my day and consider where my calories/nutrition came from. sometimes I conclude they came from lattes. and then I vow to eat better the next day and I plan a real meal. tomorrow I'm making tacos. would you like to come over?

TODAY, however, unlike yesterday's unsual-ness, was full of wedding-ness. I was asked to be a bridesmaid! and as graphic designer roommate, I'm designing the invitations, too! we spent the day discussing invitations, postcards, sewn pockets, colors, and paper choices. it started at starbucks, where they made my drink so perfectly that I had two: tall white mocha (with a splash of heavy whipping cream) americano. don't worry, the second time was decaf. we got lots of ideas and visually and verbally narrowed down a good direction. then as we were browsing shops downtown, single roomie (not to be confused with engaged roomie) and I spotted an attractive male in a burton hat. tall, dark, handsome, etc. roomie & I were amazed the same man caught both our eyes. this is usually not the case. then we late lunch @ pita pit. I got to talk with several far-away friends on the phone this afternoon/evening. Tonight: design blog browsing, etc. { 1 2 3 } my roomie had her junior high girls over from church, and they had a surprise birthday party for one of the girls. she's 13. how adorable is that? the cake was good. I snagged a bite when I got home from yoga, after they went downstairs to play pirates :)

No comments:

Post a Comment