Tuesday, February 19, 2008

a wedding. and some blue swirls.

mandy & jonathan are getting married! I'm pretty excited for them. I like their story, too. especially the part when she dumped him a couple years ago after dating in Birmingham and moving out here, then left him new to CoS without any friends, and moved to Florida two weeks later to plant a church and then happened to also attend the church that I attended and knew some of the same people I did. Our time there overlapped by about a month, and then we met each other back in CO. But back to mandy and jonathan. they got back together, obviously. and they are very much engaged now. he even lives with one of my brother's good friends and mandy's mom watched my sister in law's little brother back in the day. I love those connections. our bridesmaid dresses are pool blue. and they wanted swirls on their invite, so swirls they got:

we printed them last week at a place I wouldn't have normally looked into: Copy It. Sounds like a place full of grocery-store like copy machines and dirty sales associates who really aren't much help. But I found their machines turned out a very nice product, their people were friendly and quite knowledgeable. it was awesome. Kinko's= charged me for samples, took a long time for two sample pages, and my 80lb cougar opaque cover was apparently too thick for their machines. the blues were all off. Staples= didn't charge me for samples (awesome) but the text printed so blurry I was quite unimpressed, the paper also had problems there. and Office Max's copy center, which I'm usually satisfied with, had very nice crisp black ink, but the blues were all wrong and even had splotches of white. alas: Copy It wins, hands down.

5 comments:

  1. well done! that invite is so lovely. and thanks for the feedback on Copy It. i'm currently designing wedding invites for a friend, and that will be good advice to pass along since I'm letting him handle the printing. that's always the most difficult part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. is Copy It a national chain? and do they have a website? for some reason i'm having a hard time finding anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if they're a chain or not.

    either way: the lesson is to not overlook anyone. I find smaller print jobs are more difficult to work out because of the small quantity & budget.

    my advice: have your friend take a detailed eye to sample pages from a few different places before choosing one. calling around to compare print/trimming costs doesn't hurt either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use CopyIt for all of my wedding invites and programs.

    They did a great job when they printed these invitations on linen paper.

    CopyIt rules, Kinkos drools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While we're talking about printers: Joanne and I grabbed the NOLS bikes this afternoon and rode over to a printer in town. Yes, there are a few bikes (yellow, with baskets) around the front of the building to borrow for errands and such in town. A little exercise, meet the printer, drop off a newsletter file. I really feel like that wouldn't really happen anywhere else...

    ReplyDelete