a family dinner
a few weeks ago, one of my roommates asked if we could have a family dinner. we all said of course. and we've proceeded to have about one a week ever since. varied nights. varied guests. and when we invite new people they always ask am I part of the family? and we say of course.
a few weeks ago at our first family dinner, we all sat down at the table. half of us were sitting on cardboard boxes full of books and magazines that once held starbucks coffee for store #10897. lauren set the table, food's out, beverages poured. and we sat. and we looked at one another like we're waiting for someone else to make the first move. and our friend dan says I feel like we should pray. as if families that sit and have dinner together just should. so we laugh. because perhaps some of us were raised with such customs. and someone says sure, we can pray. and I assume that because dan has suggested it, he will offer to pray. instead: he looks straight at me and says allison, you love jesus, why don't you pray? and I smile, say sure, and thank God for his provision, lauren's cooking skills, generosity, and time with community. I must admit, I was somewhat honored [if awkwardly] to be asked to pray among such varied spiritual beliefs.
tonight we're having another family dinner. each one looks a little different. this week lauren is cooking some seitan (read: fake protein) fajitas, and I'm baking some margarita cookies for dessert. (I found the recipe over at smitten kitchen.) it should be a good one!
becca, bo, lynette and i had weekly family dinners when we lived in the apt on 33rd st. they were my favorite. maybe adam and i should start doing that.
ReplyDelete