Monday, September 15, 2008

the catalog. finally done.

ahhh. so the catalog is finally done. with the exception of paying our photographers, organizing my final final final files and helping put the virtual edition on the website. well, and then we'll have to debrief or something before starting it all again before we know it.

today I heard from our print folks that 50,000 catalogs would arrive in lander tomorrow. between 8 and 9am. not more than 30 minutes later did facilities dave show up to say um, well, hey the catalogs are here. now.

are you kidding me? please don't joke about this right now. I kindof have a lot to focus on...

sure enough. there was a semi out front. 15 hours early. so people talked to people and floyd backed the truck up to the dock, in an alley he wasn't sure he could maneuver in. but peter said it'd been done before, so floyd was up for the challenge.

in all, 23 pallets came off, and boxes of catalogs were firelined to various parts of the building, most ending up in the basement. I'm so thankful so many of my awesome coworkers showed up to help! My initial emails to HQ asked everyone to be ready to help out tomorrow, so when I sent one that said surprise, they're here now! I wasn't sure who would be able to help. In the end: total time from truck to dock to high-fives all around: less than an hour and fifteen minutes. I'm proud. good job, team!

so that's the delivery story. the press check story involves ridiculously long days, awesomely sharp pressmen, some gambling in vegas, the hoover dam, driving through red rocks, a massage, staying at the luxor, drinking starbucks beverages daily, renting an adorable silver vw bug, going shopping, and sitting next to a woman on the plane who is from bozeman, insists I visit if I'm in town, and who once worked with saul bass and ray eames! too cool.

But the best part of my journey home: seeing my dad in the denver airport!

me to my mother: hi mom, I'm calling from an airport. flying back to wyoming.
mom: oh, which airport are you in?
vegas.
your father just called me from an airport. he's in salt lake.
oh. is he going through denver?
yes. in about an hour.

I landed at DIA and booked it across the concourse to give him a hug and chat for a few minutes. I told him about the press check and printing and las vegas, and he told me about nuclear missles. you know. the usual.

1 comment:

  1. you have to be one of the most detailed story tellers i know, (besides me that is and I love it), love and miss you. I am glad the catalog is done and you can breath for 0.5 seconds.

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete