Wednesday, August 5, 2009

carless.

No, not careless.

Carless.

Me.

Yep. It's going to be so great. I really hope I don't start freaking out in 3 weeks at the thought of not having a car. Or, rather. In 10 weeks. That's probably when it'll hit me. In a few weeks I go on course. Before that I press check the catalog. Until then, biking around town is normal summerness around these parts. Maybe I won't even notice for a while?

Here are a few ways I can combat the convenience (read: unnecessary and expensive dependence) of having a vehicle in Lander:

- pack a lunch when biking to work. thus, the hill won't piss me off when it's 90 degrees outside and I need to go home to get food.
- wear a backpack and grocery shop at least twice a week, in smaller increments
- continue to bake bread at home, this translates to no squished backpack loaves, and less-expensive, tastier homemade bread
- pay my roomie as necessary for rides out of town (ie. to the airport)
- carpool as usual with friends to such out-of-town activities as hiking and climbing (& thus be generous with said friends when purchasing post-climb beverages at the LB)

It's just that easy, right? It seems so simple right now. Let's see how it goes. I'm going to have to learn to be patient and/or wet when it rains. I'm really not too worried about that, though.

So my car is at a consignment shop at the moment. Shane seemed to think it'd sell within a few weeks. Here's a link to his posting online. Once it sells and my loan is over with, I plan to buy a more comfortable-fitting bike to ride around town. The question now is :: townie or road bike?

I'm leaning toward townie bike. Upright posture. Cute basket. Etc. With the possibility of a road bike later, like maybe next summer. What do you all think? Any bike recommendations or tips on living without a car?

1 comment:

  1. good for you for ditching the car! i love reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete