Thursday, April 20, 2006

third time's a charm


Last night I tried something new at cgroup. It was my turn to lead. My turn to host. And I knew a dozen and half people would be showing up at my house for John, chapter 7. I didn't have too much of a plan (I've been busy... for months...), but I knew I wanted to keep things fairly simple... focusing on good discussion and people's thoughts. I was cleaning my bathroom about an hour before everyone was going to show up, and the words Curious, Surprise, and Humbled popped into my head. HS-inspired for sure! And I just felt prompted to read through the passage once, as a group, each person taking a verse or two while we all follow along... in our various translations of course. Going from the Message to NKJV to KJV to NIV is always fun to keep up with. Then we talked about what sparked our curiosity. What questions we had. Then we read it all again. We shared what surprised us or what was unusual or unexpected. And we read it again. This time we talked about what humbled us or convicted us. It was so SIMPLE. It was great! There was sharing and laughing and confusion and hurt and joy, amid a saturation of scripture. At least I liked it. Sometimes these folks like more structure though. Hope the switch-up was refreshing.

Stay tuned: Easter pics coming soon.

1 comment: