Friday, June 9, 2006

to whom it may concern...

Please accept this letter of resignation.

I finally did it! I resigned. I'll be done working here in a month. It's surreal and quite exciting all at the same time. It feels so good to have it out in the open. No more hiding at work.

A big thank you to a couple of my friends who said I needed a letter of resignation. They didn't teach me that in school. I was fully prepared to go out and GET a job, but as for quitting? That's just something you learn when you get out here in the real world, I guess. Going into the "I'm leaving" conversation prepared with a formal letter felt professional and respectful. I'm glad I had it.

I've been more encouraged by some things that have happened at my workplace lately, and I think that's one way God is healing some bitterness I'm harboring. Like I'm leaving knowing there's hope here, but that it's just taking a (long) while to accomplish things. I'm realizing I really have learned and grown quite a bit. It's been a good first real job. ((sidenote: I've been watching the Nooma videos lately, they've been circulating around the office. "Luggage" hit me in the sense that I realized I have held onto some bitterness here. I need to forgive people. At least, within myself I need to forgive them. I didn't realize I wasn't over the hurt. I didn't realize it hurt that bad. Rob Bell says, at one point, "May you forgive as you have been forgiven."))

So, I'm moving to Florida, temporarily (or, so that's the plan), for an unpaid internship. (gasp!) I even have to bring my own computer. They aren't helping me find a living situation or roomate. And I may have to work in the vault-turned conference room. So it pretty much sounds like the worst situation anyone with a year and a half of experience could sign up for. But it's with one of my favorite magazines (RELEVANT), and I expect to learn a ton. I expect to come away with some solid portfolio-building pieces. I expect real work. And I'm so excited for the professional and personal challenges I'll be facing. To some extent, coming back and not having a job in October will be scarier and require more faith than going next month. But, speaking of October, I've already got the first few weeks planned out... it includes driving a crazy criss-cross section of the country, Design Camp in MN, college friends, and one pretty cool artist retreat in the CO mountains.

PS. I really wanted to post this link when I found it a few weeks ago!

3 comments:

  1. I think you and CHANDLER STRANG, JANITOR will be fiends. Chandler is a nice name. Congrats on your first quitting! I should follow in your footsteps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay Allison.....oooooh no allison ....don't go .....
    Hope this adventure brings new and exciting things for you girl

    Sam

    ReplyDelete