This is a turn.
As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."
This was something I found very encouraging in my decision to quit my "real" job and take an internship. So as I begin to process through all these new things I get to adapt to, the things I'll learn, the skills I'll be working on, and as I encounter new people, places, I need to keep in mind my perspective as I decided to jump into this journey. A BSF gal gave me that piece of scripture wisdom one night in response to a prayer request. It's proven to be very encouraging.
This week at church (a church that others suggested and I loved, by the way) we heard about how the kingdom of God (=his will perfectly ultimately manifested in full) is not only so much bigger than we can imagine, but it's also something that begins so much smaller than we could imagine. It connects with the mustard seed parable, but also with the humble place God puts us in order for growth to happen. I can't help but consider this place of moving, of being "poor" (but I'm still significantly wealthier than most of the world), unpaid, and performing an INTERNSHIP. I have two years of professional experience. Mom says isn't this a step BACK in your career? Prepared to learn a lot. Already am.
One girl is moving to CO, so I went to a goodbye party this weekend. I'm excited that I got to meet her local friends before she left, and I'm excited we will be friends in Colorado. Plus, her boyfriend's a designer/screenprinter guy. Fun networking. I introduced him to Aesthetic Apparatus. I played dominoes with some fun people and then met a girl at the party who I carpooled to church with. Good to already know people at church (probably a dozen people I'd already met, which is fun), but also good to arrive/leave with a new friend. We went out for lunch, too. Sweet Tomato! Yummy salad. Then last night after work we had a going-away for another intern. An irish pub, a small group of coworker friends, ex-interns, and such. I'm realizing that these kids I work with are pretty cool people. I'm starting to move past the you're all so intimidating mindset. Only took a week. Not bad. It just takes stepping out, talking to people, and being comfortable in those quiet-girl-sitting-in-the-corner-observing sorts of situations to get to the next conversation. I'm realizing a lot of them are younger than I am, too (even the non-interns). Weird. Anyway: with these goodbye get-togethers, it's been good to be included in the transition.
I feel like this is a big time of change in the office, too. People coming/going, changing business plans, not producing some mags while others go on as planned, hiring new people and not replacing others... interesting stuff to be part of. Plus, in a few weeks there won't be so many interns, so the workload and workspace will change a bit.
Ready? Accelerate. This is a turn.
ALLISON!!!! you're awesome. there's nothing else to say. i'm so impressed by everything you're doing... it's so cool to be on the other side of this kind of decision, and you're such a great person to listen to. hope all continues to go well :) and i hope we talk soon.
ReplyDeleteps. http://www.aigaminn.org/designcamp/
it's beginning...
Allison, you are so brave and I'm so proud of you. Keep up the superduperness.
ReplyDelete