Saturday, November 3, 2007

recycling


I've wanted to set up and follow a recycling system for a while now, and ironically, Colorado Springs doesn't have an overly active population of recyclers. A lot of people pay for the pick-up service with their trash pick-up, but I've never been in a place to coordinate or afford that with roommates. Throwing things away is so easy... but since my parents have historically been good about recycling, I feel like I'm always aware of what I'm throwing away and the fact that it could be recycled.

—it's annoying—

Especially when there are large collection bins at the YMCA near my house clearly designated for different recycle items.

So to motivate myself (and hopefully get my roomies on board, too) I just ordered these recycle bins from Design Within Reach. With a system in place and bags easy to toss, grab, tote, and empty, it should be easy to help recycle. I should gather quite the collection pretty soon, even if we just do paper and plastic... which I predict will consist of junk mail, various packaging systems, and Starbucks cups.

3 comments:

  1. good work allison. as a child of recyclers in wisconsin, before it was ever a curbside endeavor, i cringe when anything recyclable is tossed in the trash. i did my best to teach my fellow roommates at apt. e the art of recycling. and also did the same in portland, surprisingly enough. it's a good habit to pass along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can anyone take their recycling to the YMCA? I would be interested in recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they're just large bins in the parking lot- I'm not sure who picks it up, but it seems open to all

    ReplyDelete