Lander
After working all day with sinus pressure in a string of seemingly endless full days at work (there are days off... but they just don't feel like it...) I spent a healthy amount of time stalking the good people of Lander, Wyoming. Just for the record, most of you seem like interesting, healthy, friendly people. Using my superior stalking skills I found businesses, housing, social networking pages, personal websites, blogs, lots and lots and lots of trip photos, and a few pictures of the town.
Why is she so interested in Lander, you ask? well, I'm going there on Friday! for a job interview! I'm pretty excited. and nervous. and of course, paranoid about blogging about it. I'm always paranoid that with information like this public, my boss will find out (she'd be excited for me, I know, but it's still awkward to be looking for a new job, right?) or that the job won't work out, or that someone stalking me will somehow have too much information over the course of my blog and, well, stalk me more...
So I'm excited. it's a design position with NOLS. and if you're the praying type, please do. I'm praying I'll have peace about taking the job if they offer the job, and that things like money and benefits and relocating and having friends and a place to live and a church community will fall into place. the job itself sounds pretty similar to what I was doing at ACSI as far as in-house design goes with clients down the hall, and constantly being aware of the fact that you're holding the brand and all it holds dear in your hands as you design, write, edit, and publish materials. benefits include: trips, discounts, pro-deals, health insurance, retirement, etc. as well as things like most likely being able to bike or walk to work, a casual atmosphere, and flex time.
so far I have found: the closest Starbucks is 2 hours away (yes, 2 hours), the closest Target is probably next door to the closest Starbucks, right around the corner from the closest BSF class, but there is a Safeway in town, at least one business with "health food store" in their name, plenty of other cafes and such, and I found listings for sears and several thrift stores, and a slew of interesting local establishments, there's even an art center. Besides, it seems like a gorgeous place, with the Wind River Mountains nearby and lots of pretty peaks. looking forward to my visit later this week makes me sad, knowing my camera is still broken.
I've also heard it's a cheap place to live, but looking for rentals online seems depressing, only because that seems like the sort of thing you have to do in person. (Lander doesn't seem to have discovered the glories of craigslist). and I've found a whole network of people who work at NOLS online. They're on myspace and facebook and flickr. so perhaps when I meet them in person they will seem eerily familiar... and I will again feel like a stalker and I'll have to say "oh, yes, we've sortof met. I saw a few hundred of your trip pictures on flickr..."
even in light of this Lander stalking obsession, I hit freak-out mode internally and applied for jobs elsewhere in recent weeks:: work the network in town, continue through the seemingly-slow process with a couple other places...
ps. pray for my grandma, too. she's old. and occasionally bitter. and her poor little lungs have blood clots in them. I should visit more.
I got a call at work today.
ReplyDeleteA friendly lady called Joanne who was seeking some information about an applicant for a design position ...
She was nice and the conversation was pleasant and complimentary things were said on your behalf.
She liked the fact that my parents went through NOLS. That fact alone just might get you the job.
I'm the praying type. Valeen and I will hook you up in that regard ...
I overheard Chris' half of the conversation. Sounded good to me, and I'm excited for you! Will be praying.
ReplyDeleteDon't freak; rest in God's time and God's plans.
I've traveled through Lander a couple of times on my way to Jackson & Yellowstone; pretty mountains!That alone can calm the heart.
Julie
Good luck with the interview, hope the trip in itself is good too!
ReplyDeletePlus, I need another trip to Wyoming, it made me too mad the first time, I want to give it a second chance ;)