Monday, April 3, 2006

powerful beyond measure

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-Nelson Mandela

I seem to be all over quotes lately. But this one's amazing. My friend Elizabeth sent it to me. She's wise. This statement is pretty powerful. Especially as I prepare for this leap coming up in life. Am I scared to go because I will succeed? Am I scared because I can't possibly do it on my own? Of course. Perhaps that's the fun of it all. Faith. Being light somewhere new. Realizing and exercising my own power beyond measure? Why does my light scare me? Why is my darkness comfortable? And ironically (or not?) I received this quote after renaming my little blog here: accelerate through the turn. That's something my dad used to say when I was learning how to drive. I guess I'd turn and continue to slow down through the turn, waiting until the new straightaway to accelerate. Really, it's a smoother transition and more power on the next end (seemingly, don't quote me here I'm not a physicicst... but my dad kind of is... I'll ask him about this) when you accelerate through the turn instead of whimpily slowing down all the way through. It's now a sort of life metaphor, I guess. The phrase just popped into my brain a few weeks ago. It's fun. Life's a constant state of transition from one place to another, and since I love change anyway... perhaps I notice it more in my life? With each new step we become more refined. With each new challenge we're empowered. With each new place of darkness, we have opportunity to be light brighter than last time.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your new blog name...I may use it as we transition out of Colo spgs and towards Philly.
    What a great metaphor for life.

    Thanks for sharing, allison.

    J.R. Briggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, Allison. I can't wait to hear about this new life excitingness :) what is it?!

    great header.

    ReplyDelete